Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kinsey's first day of school, well...orientation.

So, I scheduled us for the 9 am slot for orientation for this morning. Everything was going great until about 8 am when Kinsey started telling me she didn't want to go to school today while I was telling her about where we were going and trying to get her pumped about it. I was really shocked because she has been so excited about school and tells everyone about it! Well, I asked her if she was scared and she said that she was and I told her I understood and she started getting a nervous/scared look on her face. I sat down with her and told her about when I got scared about school but that it was fun, yaddi yaddi yadda and nothing I did helped. I felt so bad for her, but continued to tell her how much fun she'll have and that her teachers are so nice and that her name and picture were probably on the wall, etc. Well, about 8:10 am, Kinsey was watching me get ready and she told me that her stomach hurt. Then, she layed down on my floor and acted like she was having stomach cramps! I though: "Maybe she's faking it to get out of going to school--wait, when did she learn to do that?" I asked her if she needed to go to the bathroom and she said "No" and I then asked her if she needed to "Blah", meaning throw up. She said "Yes" and I grabbed her and brought her into the bathroom with me and put her head in the toilet. I probably kinda scared her, but when she says she needs to throw up, she isn't kidding and its coming soon! So, she didn't throw up, but spit a few times and that all happened around 3 times. I was kinda freaked out! So, I thought, I could A: keep her home in case its the stomach flu and it randomly chose to present itself the morning of school orientation, B: tell her that we won't go and see if it goes away or C: tell her we'll stay home, really stay home and create a monster by showing her that all she has to do to get out of something she doesn't want to do is say she needs to throw up. So, I said we'd stay home and within a few minutes she was good as new. The poor thing had first day of school anxiety!! I knew once we got to her school she'd be fine. So, she got dressed, we took pictures, we dropped Jonas off at the neighbors and I drove down the street. She asked if we were going to school and I said "Yes" not wanting to lie to her and make her distrustful, and she acted excited! We got there and she loved every minute of it! It was like she just needed me to lie to her to get her through. She knew what we were doing the whole time! We come from a long line of anxious people and Kinsey takes after me. Poor girl. I can see the night before school starts, every year from now on, doing this same thing and holding back the poor girl's hair so she can yack! I love her! She is so sweet!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, poor Kinsey! Well I'm glad that it worked out for her and she was able to go after all. She looked so cute-hey, maybe that little incident happened so that you wouldn't be too emotional about your baby starting school! Okay, I'll post some of the pictures today-they don't look quite as good as Brenna's, but I think I got a couple of better ones of Kiara!