Thursday, May 21, 2009

THE CHICKENS....

This is Sarah Chicken....She rules the roost and is kind of a mother hen. She also wouldn't let any other chicks come out until she'd checked it all out. She's very protective. Kinsey and I were watching them one night and I was telling her that this chicken is like a mommy and is kind of bossy to the other ones and I said, "what should we name her?" and she said.."Sarah"...not to be confused with Kinsey's Auntie Sarah. Sarah is not bossy, so I dunno where that came from! I'm just glad that she didn't want to name her "mommy" or "Caitlin" when she heard that the chicken is bossy! Then, a few days later I asked her if we should name the other brown chickens and she gave me the names of all my other sisters...she loves her aunties!
Sarah Chicken showing off...I think I was in her space.
This is Cordelia...I've been reading the Anne of Green Gables books....yeah. I think her coloring is gorgeous!This one is an Ameracauna and will lay a bluish-green egg eventually.
This is "Anne with an E" checkin out the new coop. I love her golden neck feathers!
Another one of Anne. I think these ones look like hawks a little. Their heads are a little more angular and their chirps kinda sound like a falcon or hawk! And, yes, they do have green legs....funny, huh?
This is Diana because she has black head feathers! The Ameracaunas are pretty skittish and I just got Anne to eat out of my hand last night! The brown light brown ones are the most friendly...maybe the breed characteristics that I read were right! They said that Orpingtons (light brown ones) are "affectionate"

Checkin out the coop....wow, they've grown in the past couple weeks! These pics are a little old! Sarah now looks like a smaller sized full grown chicken, so I'm watching for eggs from her. I think she'll be the first to lay. She seems to be quite advanced physically compared to the others.
The coop with the run all set up. Yeah, we look like we live in a barren wasteland, don't we? This was right as I was finishing up the whole outfit, so there are tools all laying around....embarrassing....but I painted the coop yellow a little while later.
This is Jonas "helping" me. I had a bunch of stuff out for Jonas to help me with so he could stay close and keep out of the way pretty much. Leilani and Justin and their kids came over that morning to help set up the run and we had fun. After they had to go I kept working only for another hour or so and then painted the whole thing. I can't believe we got so much done in a day! I was dreading all of that for so long! It was sure nice to mark that business off my lists and those chickens really love being outside. I was sure sunburned that night, but it was worth it!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

That's so fun you guys have chickens. Looking at the pictures brings back so many memories. We had 13 road Island reds(I think that's what they were anyway) and a rooster. LOVED gathering the turqoise and brown eggs! That will be so fun for your kids.

Jessa said...

Katy:
I apologize for being so lax in the comment department and I promise to be better. I've been reading your blog religiously and I seriously love you guys. I miss you. I love your family. i love your chickens.

xoxo

Leilani said...

Wahoo, Love chickens! However I feel like a neglecful mother hen, I promise I will do better. Cluck, cluck. Ps thanks for the fireworks and cave hunting -super fun!